Wednesday 3 August 2016

Fantasy or Reality & Fact or Fiction (Cricket)

Hi everyone!

I'm going to attempt to post once a week (minimum) at least by every Wednesday/ Friday. So there would be some consistency in my posts. Plus I'll be tagging off in the titles what the post is about, Cricket, Life, Book review, Movie etc.

Today's post is a throwback, way back when etc etc, from Tuesday 30th September, 1997. 

My love, maybe obsession, yes, let's call it an obsession of cricket has been on for two whole decades, two! I feel old. 

This is an essay that I wrote in Primary school when I was 10 and I got 12 out of 12, A++ outstanding, plus a sticker saying wonderful! Possibly one of my best works at this age. One of my first forays into writing fiction about cricket (I honestly think so), my memory's fuzzy. 


And now I'm going to reveal it to the entire world. 


Topic - "An Eventful Occasion" 


One day while reaching the turntable at the ticket counter in the Queen's Park Stadium for the Grand Final one day international between West Indies and Sri Lanka. I found my seat and sat down. The two Captains Courtney Walsh and Arjuna Ranatunga came out with the commentator for the toss. 


West Indies won.


The openers Sherwin Campbell and Stuart Williams got off their team to a good start with scoring fifty runs in seven overs before Campbell and Williams fell to two successive balls from Pushpakumara for Sri Lanka. Brian Lara and Chanderpaul carried the score to  two hundred and seventy five for four when the West Indies collapsed from 10 successive balls from Pushpakumara and Silva.


The two opening Sri Lankan batsmen got to twenty five runs before both openers were bowled by Ambrose in the sixth over. Aravinda de Silva and A. Ranatunga carried this score to 200/4 with elegantly struck fours all over the field and mighty sixes. Mahanama and Telekaratne carried the score to 265/5, before the two new bowlers Meryvn Dillon and Franklyn Rose took the wind out the their sails in the forty first and second overs. They ended the exciting Sri Lankan innings dramatically at 265 all out. 


The field was stormed with spectators, even me. The man of the match was Brian Lara with 117 runs and the West Indians got the Champions trophy.


End



Well, there you have it, my fantasies into the fiction world were well and truly working from an early age and has stayed strongly with me over the years. From playing hours of cricket in the yard to playing hours of cricket on the computer to playing hours of cricket with a calculator (including book cricket and a few other variations), the love of cricket has surely given me some pleasurable times. 


Hope everyone's doing well and my next post I'll talk a bit about healthy living and life.

Til next time. :-) 




No comments:

Post a Comment