Thursday 7 January 2021

The Art Of Discrimination (clickbait)

Hi everyone!

Hope my post can shed some light of the different ways discrimination can occur.

It's been three years, and two weeks since I've published a blog post, and what a time it has been since.

I'm older, maybe wiser? Maybe a little more sane? Only time will tell I guess.

Thank you to Fairytalekindagirl for the inspiration to start back writing and clearing my writers block! Check out her blog (linked) for that taste of magic that everyone needs! You're awesome 🤗

The recent events of the US Capitol Hill siege/ insurrection yesterday (Wednesday 6th January 2021) has reminded me of the time I was discriminated against (consciously) three times within the space of a just over an hour and a half at Miami International Airport. 

A combination of my name (Muslim), religion (Islam) and skin colour (Indian)

Caveat - I am sure I was discriminated against many times in the past, and probably I put it down to bad service or that person having a bad day.

Why was I in Miami?

An all expense paid trip for training, courtesy of my work.

Typically, my entire life, I've really had no desire to go to the United States of America, as nothing really appealed to me. Maybe I've had my fill from looking at the dozens of movies and TV series coming out of USA.

Another thing I need to say, is that discrimination comes in many forms and this was the first time in my life I got discriminated against and combined with me being tired from the flight, made me scared that I was going to get thrown into jail etc (probably the fear mainly comes from my love of the TV series 24 for those of you who don't know what this series comprises there's a handy link for you)

Anyway - in October 2019 - arrived at just past 7:30 and it took me until nearly 9:30 to meet back up with my three colleagues. 

I was quite excited to experience a new airport and new experiences. If it's one thing I love (out of many many other things) is the flying experience (departure and arrivals and everything in between). Navigating customs can be a tricky experience at best and I managed to take an hour and a half as compared to the relatively light experience of half hour for my colleagues.

First Act

Because of my name being wholesomely Islamic - Usayd Abdul Samad Hamid, I got automatically flagged to go in the line for additionally screening with all the other "potential" suspects in the eyes of the USA. So my three colleagues breezed through one line, and my customs ticket and an X over the face of it - so the customs agents would know where to send me.

Second Act

I was tired no end from the flight, and the extremely slow moving of the line because typically in situations like these, there was two customs agents (I think, can't remember for sure) screening hundreds of passengers. I spotted another customs agent making his way down the line talking to each passenger and asking for their ticket and passport and asking them some questions. 

When he reached to me and started to read my passport and details, I could actually see his demeanour changing as in his mind he found someone who meets their criteria as a troublemaker. He pulls me out of the line and takes me to the front of the line (this is the only good thing that happened in the whole experience, he made my wait time cut by an hour). He had me scan my fingerprints with the other customs desk agent and he was talking excitedly in Spanish with him (I don't understand Spanish, so it sounded excited to me). At this stage I got panicked as my fingerprints weren't scanning initially after the first couple of tries.

He then took me in a room behind the waiting area with the lines and questioned for around ten minutes (he had a whole questionnaire to fill out). He asked me such questions as to my purpose in Miami, what mosque I go to in Trinidad, and if I noticed any potential dangerous situations when I go. 

As a result of my job, I am all over Trinidad and I don't typically have the opportunity to either go to mosque regularly or go to the same mosque on a Friday for Ṣalāt al-Jumuʿah. Unfortunately I probably miss a lot during the year. 

It was only after I showed him the printed out emails from my work which indicated why I am there and where I would be staying, he realised that I am the least of his worries and wrapped up with me very quickly after that. Thank goodness I had the foresight to print out those emails - cause I don't know if I would've been allowed to start up my laptop there to show him the emails. 

He also took the opportunity to have me show him the contents of my carry-on and suitcase (which I considered to be normal inspection, he didn't touch anything).

Third Act

Leaving the customs area and meeting up with my colleagues in the luggage collection area, who were wondering what on earth happened to me, I felt that sense of relief as I probably was on adrenaline for the period of my experience. 

Now - leaving the luggage pick-up section and walking to the exit of the airport - I was stopped by an all white security guard who demanded my passport and ticket and reason for being there. (I should note at this point that all the colleagues I was with were black and I was the Indian - so this time it was a skin colour discrimination). All my colleagues were allowed to exit and I was questioned for a couple of minutes.

All in all - an experience I still remember clearly 15 months after and has it turned me off from going to the USA? Quite possibly for the rest of my life - but, who knows where life will take me - here's to hoping a second experience (if it happens) is not as bad as this.

And I know - people have a lot of worse experiences.

Here I am - looking all tired as **** in the hotel lobby after my experience.

2 comments:

  1. Well written... photo at end does seem like you've just been rolled over by security.

    ReplyDelete