Sunday 11 June 2017

The Dessert Of Decadence (Food)

Roughly seven years ago, I was first introduced to a curious dessert by my family in England, and I'm totally ashamed to say that I ate so much of it. Or maybe not that ashamed. 

There was a tray made for dessert, and I sneaked off with half of the tray over the space of an hour in my mouth, the memories... The size of tray that was made was for about 20 servings approximately, and I had half. 

Am I a foodie? Am I a glutton? Am I an addict? Am I a slightly disturbing combination of all three?

The typical hashtags I would use on Instagram are seen below, whenever I post a picture of dessert. Seems like the most appropriate choices to draw attention to the pictures. 

#yummyinmytummy
#yummyinmymouth
#smellsdelicious
#mmmmmmmmmm
#mindmelting
#decadence

As trusty old Wikipedia indicates - Basbousa is a native Egyptian and traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake. It is made from cooked semolina or farina soaked in simple syrup. Coconut is a popular addition. The syrup may also optionally contain orange flower water or rose water. Basbousa - Wikipedia

Interestingly I've never had it with Coconut, I have to, or maybe I should own up here and say that I utterly despise coconut in anything, unless I am sick, which then means, I would drown myself in coconut water, cause I know it's the best and most natural thing to become healthy again. Therefore you see the relation here, any hint of coconut reminds me of times I have not been well. 

Moving along, for the purposes of this blog post, I've dropped the recipe most used by my family here, hopefully it should help those interested enough in making it. 

Basbousa Recipe
Ingredients Nutrition

Servings
12
3⁄4 cup butter
3⁄4 cup sugar
1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
2 cups semolina
1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda

Sugar syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Juice of lemon

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
  • Melt butter, allow to cool to room temperature.
  • Combine sugar and buttermilk in a large bowl.
  • Combine the semolina, vanilla, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
  • Add semolina mixture to buttermilk mixture, mix well, then add melted butter, and mix well.
  • Spray an 11x7 inch pan with cooking spray, pour in the mixture; You may also use a 13x9 inch pan, and bake for 25 minutes instead of 30.
  • Let sit for 20 minutes.
  • Bake for 30 minutes, pour sugar syrup over it while still warm.
  • This is usually served with tea or coffee.

Sugar Syrup

  • Combine sugar, water and juice of half a lemon in a saucepan.
  • Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes, mixture should thicken when it cools.


Here's a gorgeous picture of a time that it was made at home. Typically the topping of an Almond per piece is like the cherry on a cake, you don't really need to have it, but it makes life better to have it. 

One unfortunate drawback of the recipe is that the main ingredient, Semolina is apparently only available in one place in Trinidad and Tobago, (it's not available in regular supermarkets), thank goodness we can still get it. However in other countries it should be more readily available than here. 

We've recently started using white chocolate chips (one per piece) and it just takes the Basbousa to a whole other level. #ivediedandgonetoheaven 




I'm slightly and unreasonably excited by the amount of different, decadent, dessert places that have popped up in England since I've been there last in 2011. 

One of my ultimate favorites so far is this one by Camden Cookie Bar - conveniently and eye-catchingly named - Cookies and Scream 

doughnut ice-cream sandwich, drool-worthy! 
Must try it! Must! 

Over the years I've been a fan of Cadbury's Flake Chocolate, but generally I've gone for the more decadent the better. 

Question - How do I gorge myself silly on stuff like this without getting diabetic? Or getting a coma from all the sugar? 

So many decisions to make before I reach to England on vacation later this year. 

Oh my god..... 






Most of time I gravitate to Chocolate anything, so if I'm having chocolate ice-cream, it'll be topped with either
a) Oreo cookies, 
b) M&M's
c) White chocolate chips
d) Chocolate chips
e) Rainbow sprinkles
f) Kit Kat
g) Fudge
h) Chocolate shavings
i) Brownies

With chocolate cake however, it has to be rich, moist, and smothered with icing, I'm also partial to Marble Cake, obviously dominated by chocolate. I'm also totally addicted to Chocolate Logs. 

Isn't that gorgeous? I could taste it right now. MMMMMM.... 




Thank god I'm not living close to a Bakery or dessert shop, I would be sooooooooo fat. 




No comments:

Post a Comment