Sunday 9 July 2017

Making It Rain - Money Of Course (Life)

Up to last week, I managed to blog 15 straight weeks in a row, and I thought today's post (number 16 in a row) to be the most appropriate time to reflect on the reasons why I started this blog, all the way back in December 2015. I was directly influenced by the constant influence coming from the media such headlines as - 
Solve Forex Shortage Now
More Forex Shortages
and so on. 

A simple google search of "foreign exchange Trinidad news" or "forex news Trinidad" will reveal an amazing amount of news articles from the Trinidad and Tobago media which has stretched from around June 2014 to present. 

It is so incredibly frightening to think that as the foreign exchange crisis deepens with every passing day, the dependency of Trinidad and Tobago on a high oil price has not changed and continues to be a source of bother. The startling dependency of this country on foreign exchange and importing goods is such a wow moment for me every time I stop to think about it. 

The only real foreign exchange earner for the country (in my limited knowledge and understanding of the situation) is the export of oil and gas which is entirely dependent on the world price of oil and gas. It is terribly sad that past successive governments basked in the good times and never really and truly diversified the economy to assist future generations. 

Now this blog post is not all about ideas to fix the Trinidad and Tobago economy, it's all about why did I start blogging?

1) To make money
Yes, I have to own up to this firstly, I would love to earn Five Thousand to Ten Thousand US Dollars a month. That's the ultimate goal, of course anything above that would be an excellent plus. I have not attempted to monetize my blog as yet, with only just over 4000 views, 187 Facebook Page Likes and 18 subscribers, in my opinion it's still early days yet. 
Although, any US Dollars earned in Trinidad and Tobago is a big deal with the exchange rate at 6.80 TTD to one USD. 
Some targets to hit before I even think of making money off of the blog
a) create fresh and interesting content weekly (every Sunday)
b) consistently post every Sunday without exceptions - (this is where the automatic blog posting may come in handy - if I don't have access to the internet or I don't have time to create a post on the Sunday itself). i.e. create a blog post before and have it automatically posted by the site itself on the Sunday.
c) have a minimum of 1,000 subscribers via email
d) have a minimum of 10,000 likes on the facebook page
e) have a minimum of 100,000 views every month on the blog itself. 
So I'm on my way, but some way to go yet. 

2) The love of writing
I've always loved to write and create stuff, and I think I'm pretty good at it. I'll admit at this point, I haven't won any awards or prizes for my writing, not yet anyway. Still time yet I think. 

3) A way to immortalize myself
Written content online, will forever exist in some portion of the internet, in some intangible form unlike writing a journal and have the writing fade away after some time till it becomes illegible. 

4) Historic Journal Entries
I've always wanted some way over the years to keep track of interesting things or significant moments in my life, and it's taken a while, through several stopped and started diaries to finally stumble on writing a blog post every Sunday which helps in several different ways
a) Highlighting the most interesting/ exciting thing that has happened to me
b) Reviewing interesting movies, tv series, music which has moved me sufficiently to have some impact on my mind or life. 
c) A way to write a diary which I can look back on in ten years time where I'll see how far I've come, or wow, this was an interesting experience I've forgotten. 

5) The challenge of creating
Creating fresh content is quite a challenge especially if you've set yourself a goal of posting once a week. I've ended up day dreaming on the way to work and back every week day of what I should write and how it should be. It has created a different mindset to be honest, and it has been quite an experience thus far as I gradually expand my blogging abilities. 

6) A Way to Stand Out
It makes for a very interesting conversational piece to say something like, hey, this is something I can blog about, and then you can rattle on about how long you've been doing it, the accomplishments you've achieved, what you normally blog about etc.

7) Mindset change
Intriguingly, as it's been a challenge to create, my mindset has changed to pick out the most interesting things to blog about, and also find new experiences whether it may be in Barbados, England or Paris, or the most anticipated movie of the year - Star Wars The Last Jedi (Carrie Fisher's final movie)

8) Creating Opportunities 
While my 27 blog posts so far, have not created any opportunities for me, the first opportunity may be just round the corner (in whatever form), so it's a case of chin up, keep creating new content weekly, and hoping that it's coming soon and to never give up and get dispirited with not achieving what other bloggers have achieved.

9) Recognition
I've received recognition in three ways so far
a) Andrew Tye (an Australian Cricket Fast Bowler) liked one of my blog post pictures on Instagram. Whether he actually read the blog post, I might never know. 
b) One of my Facebook friends who has her own photography page, Copper & Coal Photography, re-shared one of my blog posts on her page which resulted in well over 700 views. 
c) Thanks to Facebook's generosity, of offering me $10 promotion credit, resulted in 2900 likes on the blog post on the fb page which was exciting to say the least.

10) It's free
Most blog hosting platforms are free, and to start an absorbing outlet in your life in a free way (of course you need access to the internet), is a journey that is fraught with indecision, writer's block, and many other obstacles that life can throw your way. But once there's coherency in the way the blogging process is done, one can have a very enjoyable time of it.


To round off today's blog post, a new blogger has some things to decide, 
a) why have they started the blog
b) what do they want to achieve from it
c) how often they should post
d) whether they want to stick with a niche or be general
e) ensure that each and every post is your unique thoughts.




No comments:

Post a Comment